Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Copy Cat Green Tea Souffle Recipe



It's Monday AGAIN. I spent literally the entire day at school.. from 8 am till 4 pm. I decided to award myself with desserts. I read Eugenie' Kitchen's Chocolate Souffle recipe and decided to make it immediately. Eugenie is a full time vlogger. She is talented, she started blogging on blogspot two years ago and now she has 85k+ followers on Facebook. I accidentally trolled to her blog and started looking at all the posts and pictures. It was almost midnight, and it is usually the time when I lie on my bed and start whining for food. Her original recipe calls for milk, but I substituted it with heavy whipping cream. As you can see, the result is still the same. 


I just got a new camera and still learning how to take better pictures. The souffle deflated couple minutes after it came out of the oven.. I wasn't able to capture how high it rose.. 
My mom loves this dessert, she wants me to make some more tomorrow.. different favors. ;)
Enough said, and here is the recipe for my COPY CAT GREEN TEA SOUFFLE.

Recipe makes 3 servings / 3 ramekins

Ingredients
  • 1 tbsp unsalted butter 
  • 1 tbsp all-purpose flour
  • 1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
  • 1/2 tbsp green tea powder
  • 2 eggs, divided
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 2 tbsp granulated sugar
  • Extra granulated sugar and oil spray for ramekins

Directions

  1. Preheat the oven at 390°F, coat the ramekins with oil spray and sugar.
  2. put heavy whipping cream in the microwave for 15 seconds until it warms (time varies depending on the microwave).
  3. In a small sauce pan, melt butter on low heat and then add flour, mix well. 
  4. Add the warm heavy whipping cream. Mix thoroughly until thick and smooth. Move sauce pan away from the heat. Add in Green tea powder, mix well. Set aside.
  5. In a separate bowl, beat egg whites, gradually add sugar until soft peaks formed. 
  6. Add yolks and vanilla extract to the sauce pan mixture. Mix well.
  7. Put 1/4 of the sauce pan mixture into the egg whites, mix well. Pour the remaining mixture to the egg white mixture. Fold until just combined.
  8. Pour mixture into the ramekins, bake for 10-13 minutes, until you can see the top turns golden brown.
  9. Serve immediately!!
Notes
  • Eugenie adds the yolks and vanilla extract immediately after the sauce pan is removed from the heat. I don't recommend doing that, especially for beginners like me. The yolks can be cooked if the mixture is still too hot. 
  • Eugenie baked her souffle for 15-18 mins. I guess it depends on the climate and it only took me 10 minutes.
One thing to keep in mind, Eugenie mentioned using melted butter and sugar to coat the ramekins. IT IS IMPORTANT! I tried baking my souffle without and you can see that it doesn't look as good (Yes, even when it is deflated) AND it doesn't taste as good. If you coated the ramekins with sugar, it kinda caramelized and gives you a sweet crisp bottom.

Coated with butter (left), coated with butter and sugar (right)

How many noms can this recipe get? Enjoy!

God speed,
Allie

No comments:

Post a Comment