Sunday, June 1, 2014

Cooking with Essential oil: Easy Lemon Souffle Recipe



You can never go wrong with a lemon souffle. A warm airy lemon souffle with a moist center is definitely a delightful dessert. If you get bored making Popsicles or ice-cream, you should try making souffle. This dessert is light and moist, it is perfect for those that are on diet.



As you probably can tell, I have been writing about souffle these 2 weeks. It is because I really want to lose some weight before going to Vegas, and still want to have tasty dessert. More importantly, I want to try out my new Porcelain ramekins/souffle dish. The last time I blog about souffle, I used clear custard cups to make souffle. I was wondering why we NEED to have souffle dish to make the perfect souffle. From my experience, souffle will rise a lot higher in souffle dish compare to clear custard cups. Not to mention how easy it was to overcook the souffle in custard cups.


This dessert is a lot complicated than making cupcakes and such, but it is totally worth it. I will suggest breaking the steps down into 3 different parts, cook the white sauce, beat the egg whites, and coat the ramekins. I didn't know that I can use essential oils as extracts until my mom told me. I used essential oil instead of lemon extract because of the natural ingredients and natural flavors. 

Recipe yields 4 small ramekins

Ingredients
  • 1 tbsp unsalted butter 
  • 1 tbsp all-purpose flour
  • 1/3 cup milk
  • 2 eggs, divided
  • 1/2 tsp lemon essential oil or lemon extract ( I used Young Living Essential Oils)
  • 1/2 tsp lemon juice
  • 2 tbsp granulated sugar
  • Extra granulated sugar and oil spray for ramekins

Directions
  1. Preheat the oven at 390°F, coat the ramekins with oil spray and sugar.
  2. put milk in the microwave for 15 seconds until it warms (time varies depending on the microwave).
  3. In a small sauce pan, melt butter on low heat and then add flour, mix well. 
  4. Add the warm milk. Mix thoroughly until thick and smooth. Move sauce pan away from the heat. Add in lemon juice and lemon essential oil, mix well. Set aside.
  5. In a separate bowl, beat egg whites, gradually add sugar until soft peaks formed. 
  6. Add yolks to the sauce pan mixture. Mix well.
  7. Put 1/4 of the sauce pan mixture into the egg whites, mix well. Pour the remaining mixture to the egg white mixture. Fold until just combined.
  8. Pour mixture into the ramekins, bake for 10-13 minutes, until you can see the edge turns golden brown.
  9. Serve immediately!!

Feel free to leave me comments or questions below. Enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment